Ad Hoc Committees:
The President, with the approval of the Board of Directors, shall have the authority to appoint ad hoc committees which are necessary to fill the needs of the organization. All ad hoc committees shall be terminated no later than the end of the incumbent President’s term of office.
Budget and Finance Committee:
The committee shall work with the Treasurer to develop, monitor and maintain annual budgets.
Chair – Dr. Harvey Gordon, Treasurer
The Continuing Education Committee is responsible for organizing and administering quality CE Seminars for which members of the AGD will receive credit. The Florida PACE Council shall consist of three (3) members including the chairperson. The Council shall guide and evaluate continuing dental education opportunities in the state, and shall act as liaison between this Academy and the American Dental Associations’ constituents and components, accredited hospitals, dental schools, study clubs, specialty groups, and the State Board of Dental Examiners, so that continuing education opportunities will be coordinated within the jurisdiction of the Florida Academy. The Council will have the responsibility for determining whether continuing education courses offered within the Florida Academy’s jurisdiction should be recognized for Fellowship or Mastership credit in accordance with the guidelines established by the national organization.
Chair, Dr. Bipin Sheth
The Council on Legislation shall consist of three (3) members including the chairperson. This Council shall assume the following responsibilities:
- Establish liaison with the State Dental Society determining what legislative proposals are to be introduced in the state.
- Provide recommendations to the Board of Directors on positions to be taken by the Florida Academy with regard to legislative proposals being considered in the state.
Chair, Dr. Mel Kessler
The Membership Council shall consist of a chairperson and members selected by the President and approved by the Board of Directors. The chairperson shall be appointed to serve a minimum of two years and a maximum of three years. The President-elect and Vice President will be ex-officio members of this Council. This Council shall have the following responsibilities:
- Conduct an ongoing membership campaign;
- Provide guidelines for recruiting and retaining members in the Florida Academy.
Chair, Dr. Randall Weisel
The Nominating Committee shall consist of four (4) members who are not officers, appointed by the President. The President-elect shall act as chairperson and it shall be the duty of this committee to nominate one candidate for each elective office, in addition to delegates and alternate delegates for the Academy’s annual national meeting. The nominating committee shall meet at least thirty (30) days before the General Assembly meeting. In the event there is more than one candidate proposed for any office, delegate or alternate delegate’s position, the Nominating Committee will select only one candidate by secret ballot. The balloting shall continue until one candidate has a majority of the votes of the Nominating Committee for any given office candidates who are nominated shall be made known to the membership at least twenty (20) days prior to the Annual Business Meeting.
Chair, Dr. Andrew Martin
Personnel and Office Management Committee:
The Personnel and Office Management Committee shall include the Vice President and the Immediate Past President. The committee shall recommend and oversee the Academy’s Florida management.
Chair, Dr. Laurence Grayhills
Public Information Council:
The Public Information Council shall consist of four (4) members including the Editor and a chairperson who shall be designated as the Public Information Officer. This Council shall assume the following responsibilities:
- Place news releases about Florida Academy activities in the lay press and state and local dental publications;
- Coordinate and distribute broadcast public services materials in the state;
- Assure that releases concerning individuals who have achieved Fellowship or Mastership status appear in local newspapers;
- Develop and coordinate special public relations events, such as health fairs, family dental health days, etc.;
- Coordinate a speaker bureau for use by lay groups and the media.
Chair, Dr. Laurence Grayhills